DAV College Managing Committee has established a Research Library in the Year 1917 in the memory of its first President, Late Rai Bahadur Lalchand. The objective was to rekindle the interest in the ancient Indian Literature and encourage Indological Research. Eminent personalities and Scholars like Lala Lajpat Rai, Mahatma Hans Raj, Justice Mehar Chand Mahajan Ex-Chief Justice of Supreme Court of India, Acharya Vishva Bandhu Ji, Pandit Bhagwat Datta were connected with the working of this Library.
At the time of Partition of the Country, this rich collection of manuscripts and rare books were saved from the hand of antisocial elements with the combined efforts of a few patriots. Thus, the library was successfully brought to India and housed in Amritsar for a few years and then shifted to Hoshiarpur and ultimately it was brought to the premises of DAV College, Sector 10, Chandigarh in April 1996. This Library has a rich collection of old palm leaf and paper manuscripts, and rare books on the subjects pertaining to vedic and religious literature, Epics and Puranas, Philosophy, Linguistics and Grammar, Art and Architecture, Technical Literature including Mathematics, Astronomy, Astrology, Ayurveda and History, Prose, poetry Drama and Indian culture.
The library has 10,000 rare books and 8360 manuscripts. All these manuscripts written on fragile paper, brittle birch bark and palm leaves have been chemically treated, scanned, digitized and stored in DVD’s. Original paper manuscripts have been laminated as well.
The library caters to the needs of research scholars from India and Abroad. Xerox copies and CDs are provided to the research scholars on demand. A large number of scholars from Japan, Berlin, Belgium, London, Kyoto (Japan), California (USA), Austria and distant parts of India have been visiting this Library in pursuit of their research activities.